Internal Ply Bond Tester is used to measure the internal bond strength of papers. Designed originally to evaluate the de-lamination strength of barrier materials comprised of kraft paper and sisal yarns, the Internal Ply Bond Tester has found many other uses in quality control laboratories in paper industry. The unit is used to measure the average force, in thousandths of ft. lb., required to de-laminate the fibers in the paper specimen, as described by the TAPPI “Useful Methods 403”. Other test includes de-lamination of bonding strength of coated papers stocks, the fibre bonding strength of kraft stocks (“Z” axis tensile) and the ply de-lamination strength of paper board. The Internal Bond Tester mat also be used as a coating pick tester. The procedures for this test are given in the TAPPI “Useful Methods 534”.
General Features :
- A table-mounted unit designed for ease of operation, this model does not require an electrical power source. The unit consists of a base, a sample preparation device and a dual capacity free-swinging pendulum incorporating a ball nose-striking hammer. The pendulum pivots on ball bearings and a striking hammer gives point contact on the aluminum angle of the specimen assembly. The energy of the pendulum may be changed by simple adding or removing weights. The dial has two scales, for light and heavy loads.
- The specimen is held between the base and the anvil of the test fixture by double-sided pressure sensitive tape. Test fixture provide a standard specimen of one inch square, with lamination assembled under calibrated pressure to assure uniform adhesion throughout the samples.
Technical Specifications :
- Load Measuring System: Consist of a free swinging dual capacity, pendulum of 0 to 0.250 and 0.100 and 0.500 ft. lbs. Capacity, a frication pointer of transparent plastic and a calibrated dial to indicate the force expanded by the impact. The pendulum assembly is supported by a cantilevered column, pedestal mounted on a cast iron base.
- A dispenser for a double-sided pressure sensitive tape width 1” is also an integral part of this model and is mounted into the base of the instrument along with the sample preparation apparatus consisting of five positions, each having one base and one angle.
- The aluminum angles are retained in a fixture for ease of alignment and assembly. After the samples are prepared pressure is applied through a cam and a lever. The range of pressure is adjusted from 50 PSI to 200 PSI by changing the capacity washers furnished with the tester.